Burning off unwanted fat isn’t easy, especially in trouble spots like the abdomen, love handles, buttocks, and arms. Even with a healthy diet and regular exercise, you might be struggling to contour your body. Fortunately, a treatment like liposuction can help.
Liposuction slims and reshapes specific areas of your body by removing excess fat deposits. As with any type of cosmetic surgery, your preparation will help you procedure and recovery go as smoothly as possible. Make sure you follow these liposuction preparation tips to get the most from your procedure.
One Week Before Liposuction
The week before your liposuction surgery is the best time to arrange for your care the day of and week following your procedure. First, stock up on the items you will need to stay comfortable and healthy, including antibacterial soap, comfortable clothes, books and movies, and low sodium foods that minimize fluid retention. Second, make sure you have selected a friend or family member to accompany you to your surgery and drive you back home.
You may also need to make slight changes to your routines and habits before your surgery day arrives:
- Stop shaving the treated area to reduce risk of infection
- Swap any alcohol with water to help your body promote healing and minimize bruising
- Stop smoking since nicotine prolongs recovery and increases post-surgical risks
- Stop taking aspirin or ibuprofen since they interfere with the body’s blood clotting
- Stop taking herbal supplements since they can negatively interact with anesthesia